Header Photo Credit

*The stunning photo in the header of my blog is all thanks to Ron Shoshani. Visit his facebook page for more of his amazing photographs of Tel Aviv!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Yom Kippur 2010

Yom Kippur in Israel is almost magical.  Nearly everything stops.  Everything is quiet. No cars, trucks or scooters pollute the roads; no construction noises pollute the air and no radios blare with music.  Everything is still. That is, except for the bicycles.  If you an Israeli kid under the age of 18 and you don't have a bicycle to ride on Yom Kippur, your parents are abusing you.  This is a day where the streets are filled with people, dressed in white as a symbol of purity, coming and going from the synagogue; children speeding through the roads with skateboards, bicycles and roller skates; and mothers sitting in plastic lawn chairs int he middle of the street.

My boyfriend, Yotam, my friend Eyal and I took this opportunity to visit our friend who lives in Rishon L'Tsion, a suburb which is about 20 minutes drive south of Tel Aviv. It took us about 40 minutes by bicycle as we stopped in towns like Bat Yam along the way.

Here's a short video I put together of Yom Kippur Evening and Yom Kippur Day so that you all can get an idea of what it's like.





*NOTE*: blog address at the end of the video is INCORRECT!
Correction: http://therayve.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. I loved the video Rachel! I made a post about yom kippur, of cours. Will link to you.
    Bye

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!